January 26th-28th, 2017 at UC Berkeley
What is the Young Worker Leadership Academy?
The YWLA is a fun, interactive, all-expenses-paid, 3-day leadership training for teens on workplace safety, rights, and responsibilities that takes place in January.
It introduces participants to service strategies (policy, education, media), and provides a forum for youth to plan service learning projects for their schools and communities to promote positive, safe employment for youth.
- Come to a fun, activity-packed 3-day leadership training for youth on job health and safety.
- To sign up, form a team of 4 young people (ages 14-18). You’ll work with your team to create a community project or event to promote safe jobs during May 2016, which is Safe Jobs for Youth Month. Your team must have an adult advisor who will come with you.
- You’ll get an all-expenses-paid 2-night stay at a hotel in Berkeley, plus a $50 cash stipend after you complete your community project. Limited travel stipends available as needed.
Registration for the 2017 YWLA is now open!
YWLA Alumni coming back to serve as YWLA Youth Mentors
Watch this short clip on why you should be a Youth Mentor at the next YWLA!
Check out what previous Young Worker Leadership Academy teams have done:
- 2016 Leadership Academy
- 2015 Leadership Academy
- 2014 Leadership Academy
- 2013 Leadership Academy
- 2012 Leadership Academy
- 2011 Leadership Academy
- 2010 Leadership Academies
Factsheets and Tools from Other States
Find more great materials at our Young Worker Websites page:
- Health and Safety Information
- Young Worker Websites: National/Federal
- Young Worker Websites: Other States
- Young Worker Websites: International
- Youth Employment
Lessons from the Young Worker Leadership Academy
Teens Speak Out for Safety on the Job is a step-by-step guide created by UC Berkeley’s LOHP and UCLA’s LOSH to help other organizations establish their own YWLA. The guide explains how the YWLA works and describes, step by step, how we plan and carry out the YWLA and what lessons we have learned.
Sponsors and Partners
The Young Worker Leadership Academy is a collaboration of the Commission on Health and Safety and Workers’ Compensation (CHSWC), the University at California, Berkeley’s Labor Occupational Health Program (LOHP), the University of California, Los Angeles’ Labor Occupational Safety and Health (LOSH) Program, and the California Center for Civic Participation. It is part of the statewide Worker Occupational Safety and Health Training and Education Program (WOSHTEP) administered by CHSWC.
Over the years, the YWLA has also been supported by generous donations from: the California Federation of Teachers, the California Teachers Association, the Gordon, Edelstein, & Krepack (GEK) Law firm, Laborers International Union of North America, Pacific Compensation Insurance Company, the State Building and Construction Trades Council of California, the State Compensation Insurance Fund (SCIF), Alameda County Office of Education, California State Employees Association, Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Nurse Alliance and United Food and Commercial Workers Local 5.